- Christchurch Tattoo Studio
- Zealand Tattoos from Anywhere in the World!
- Modern Style Tattoo
- Earthquake Memorial New School Tattoo
- Maquesan Sleeve
- New Zealand Tattoo
- Why Should You Get A Tattoo In New Zealand?
- How To Decide If You Should Get A Tattoo
- How to Find the Best Tattoo Studio in New Zealand
- How To Decide On A Tattoo Artwork
- Tattoo Designs
- Tattoo Art
- Maori Tattoo
- The History of Maori Tattoo
- Modern Maori Tattoo
- Maori Tattoo Design from the story of Te Ora O Maui
- Maori Tattoo Meaning from the story of Te Timatanga
- Maori Tattoo and Meanings from the story of Nga Hau E Wha
- Maori Tattoo Design from the story of life Pikorua
Maori Tattoo Design from the story of Te Ora O Maui
Maori Tattoo Design from the story of Te Ora O Maui – Maori for The Birth and Life of Maui
1 Maui Mua – brother (Maori for ‘The Firstborn’)
2 Maui Pai – brother (Maori for ‘Good Maui’)
3 Maui Waho – brother (Maori for ‘Maui Who Was Born Outside’)
4 Maui Roto – brother (Maori for ‘Maui Who Was Born Inside’)
5 Mauitikitiki – a Taranga – Maori for “Maui in the topknot of Taranga”
6 Tangaroa – Maori for “God of the sea”
7 Tamanuitera – Maori for “the sun”
8 Ika – Fish – Aotearoa , Te Ika A Maui
9 Mahuikia – Maori for “God of fire”
10 Hine nuitepo – Maori for “Maiden of darkness”
Maui was the last born of five boys. When he was born his mother thought he was stillborn so she cut off her topknot, wrapped him in it and threw him out to sea.
He eventually washed up on the shore and was found by a Tohanga who brought Maui up and taught him many things; like how to live off the resources of the land and the transformation into birds.
Maui learnt these techniques very quickly and became an expert at everything he learned, particularly navigation. Maui achieved many great accomplishments in his lifetime:
- Slowing down Tama Nuitera – giving us longer days
- Obtaining fire from Mahuika (Maori for “God of fire”)
- He almost obtained immortality for all mankind from Hine Nuitepo (Maori for “Maiden of the great darkness/death”)
This Maori tattoo design represents Maui fishing up / discovering Aotearoa (Maori for “New Zealand”) Te Ika a Maui (Maori for “North Island”).